If you really want to succeed with podcasting then you need to spend the majority of your time on promotion. Yes you need to spend time creating high value podcasts that your listeners will love. But if you don’t promote your podcasts then you will only ever have a small listener base.
We recommend that you spend around 30% of your time on podcast creation and the other 70% on promotion. You can never have enough listeners so this is something that you need to work at all of the time. In this article we will provide you with some great ways to promote your podcasts.
Upload to the Podcast Directories
There are many podcast directories where potential listeners hang out looking for new content. The most popular by far is iTunes which accounts for around 70% of podcast listeners according to a major survey. So you must upload your podcasts on iTunes.
There are other popular podcast directories such as Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and SoundCloud. Upload your podcasts to all of these. Spend time finding other podcast directories by searching on Google.
Invite Guests and Leverage their Following
Identify guests that can add value to your podcasts and invite them for interviews. Some of these people have large followings and you can ask your guests to promote the joint podcast show you have created.
If you create a good podcast with your guest then some of their followers will want to listen to more of your podcasts. Influencer marketing can really work well for podcast promotion. Find influencers on social media and ask them to make a guest appearance in exchange for recommending your podcasts.
Use Social Media for Podcast Promotion
Whatever you think of social media it is a great way to get the word out about your podcasts. If you have your own social media accounts then make a post about each of your podcasts and encourage your family and friends to listen to them and leave you good reviews.
If your social media following is fairly small then you can run a Facebook contest for example to gain more followers and promote your podcast. People love getting things for nothing and the chance to win something valuable.
Identify the social media channels that best match your target audience. Instagram and Snapchat are for younger audiences whereas Facebook and Twitter tend to appeal to older audiences. If you are in a B2B niche and want to get the attention of businesses then you must use LinkedIn to promote your podcast.
Create Professional Cover Art for your Brand
We recommend that you create some stunning and appealing cover art for your podcast. You can use this on the podcasting directories and also on your other channels such as your website or blog and social media.
If you are not an expert with Photoshop then head over to Fiverr.com and pay someone with the talent a few bucks to create the cover art for you. With high quality cover art you will create a good impression for your podcast.
Get a lot of Positive Reviews
These days reviews guide people to take action or not. If you have no reviews for your podcast then this will put off a lot of potential listeners. When you first start out ask your family and friends to leave you a positive review on the different podcast directories. Ask your listeners to leave you a review in all of your podcasts.